You can export your Splatmaps in Gaia using the Show Texture or Grass Splatmap Mask Exporter function under Utilities:
Gaia will assemble each of the texture splatmaps and write them to the GaiaMasks directory. If you have more than 4 splats then multiple PNG images will be created.
The challenge comes when you want to edit them – the 4th splatmap is written to the transparency or alpha layer, and most editing software will not allow you to touch this.
Here is how Unity shows the mask:
And here is how Photoshop shows it – you cant even see the transparency / alpha information – it is inherently just applied to all of the image channels – not very useful!
So to get access to the transparency or alpha channel, do the following:
- On Layers Menu, select Layer Mask -> From Transparency.
- Which will give you this:
And then to access the full content of the original channels so the you can edit them do this:
- Then delete the new layer mask channel:
- Photoshop will show the original channel information so that you can edit it:
- When you are done, save and use as you please.
Gaia give you many options to use these masks for stamping and spawning in your scene.