Best FREE Unity Assets - Over 150 Curated Assets
Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 6:35:31 AM
This page contains a curated list of high quality FREE tools and models to kick start your Unity game - with over 150 assets and growing!
I have also started a CHEAP (less than $15) asset list - these are assets that I have either used with GAIA or that have been recommended by the community. They are particularly useful when you want to step things up a level. Who said that you needed to spend a lot of money to become productive with Unity 3D!
If you would like me to add or remove any assets from this list then please drop me a message.
- Crystal AI : A Utility based AI for C# and Unity.
- Goap : Goal oriented action planning AI in Unity.
- TopDown AI : This is an example of Top Down Shooter AI.
- RAIN AI for Unity : An incredibly powerful path finding and behavior tree based AI plugin for Unity.
- Unity Movement AI : A library of steering behaviors to help your NPCs move around your game.
- Google Analytics Plugin : Allows game developers to easily implement Google Analytics in their Unity games on all platforms.
- Animation Baker : Converts Mecanim animations back to legacy animations.
- Animated Horse : Animated horse.
- Huge FBX Mocap Library part 1 : Conversion of the Carnegie-Mellon mocap library with 2,534 mocap animations.
- Huge FBX Mocap Library part 2 : Conversion of the Carnegie-Mellon mocap library with 2,534 mocap animations.
- Huge FBX Mocap Library part 3 : Conversion of the Carnegie-Mellon mocap library with 2,534 mocap animations.
- Magic Pack : 55 awesome magic animation from mixamo.
- Melee Axe Pack : 55 mixamo animations for axe-wielding, skull bashing, dragon slaying barbaric types.
- TakeDown Animations : 12 takedowns animations package.
- GameSounds.xyz : Massive royalty free audio collection.
- InAudio 2 : Add great audio to your game in seconds with the new layered music player with crossfading and gap-less transitions.
- Julian Ray Sound Library : Over 400 sounds and growing.
- Reaktion : An audio reactive animation toolkit for Unity.
- Retro Sound Effects: 500+ 8 bit audio sound effects for retro games.
- Laser Construction Kit : Sound effects pack with a lot of high-quality scifi sounds.
- Middle Age - Medieval Action Sound FX Pack : Medieval action sound FX pack.
- Unreleased Game Music Pack : Awesome music pack from a game that never got released.
- EZ Camera Shake : A versatile implementation of procedural camera-shaking animation.
- GhostFreeRoamCamera : Free flying ghost roaming camera, in a FPS style!
- RTS camera : Best free camera asset on the Unity asset store.
- Base Helicopter Controller : Helicopter controller with realistic physics.
- Basic Weapon System : Free basic weapon system.
- SQLite4Unity3d : SQL Lite for Unity 3d.
- Debug Panel : Extended Unity console.
Development / Testing:
- Log Viewer : Check editor console logs inside the game itself even on mobile.
- Resource Checker : Shows how much memory textures take to reduce memory usage.
- ShaderlabVS : Visual Studio Plugin for Unity Shaderlab programming.
- Unity Test Tools : Test your game with unit test framework, integration test framework, assertion component, ide, batch and test mode runners.
- VSCode : Seamless support for Microsoft Visual Studio Code in Unity.
- Screen Space Multiple Scattering : This is a replacement for Unity Fog - it is truly stunning!
- Entitas : The entity component framework for Unity. Entities, pools, groups, observers.
- SteamWorks : A C# Wrapper for Valve's Steamworks API, it can be used either with Unity or your C# based application.
- uFrame ECS Pro : A visual architecture and visual scripting tool based on the industry vetted entity-component-system. It has a very familiar feel to that of Unreal's blue-prints.
- uFrame Game Framework : An MVVM/MV* framework designed for the Unity Engine. It comes with a load of features including a graphing/diagramming engine that will generate code and even process some re-factoring.
- UniRx : A re-implementation of the .NET Reactive Extensions for Unity.
- UnitySteer : Awesome autonomous agent steering framework for Unity.
- Universe : A global persistent game manager that lasts across screens.
- Weaver Lite : Strengthens the connections between your scripts and the rest of your project, allowing you to write cleaner and more reliable code.
- Zenject : Awesome looking IOC framework.
- Fungus : Easy, branching story editor. Was used in a Unity presentation some time ago.
- InputBinder : Makes it easy for components to respond to axis, button, and key input events.
- LeanTouch : Multi-platform input library for gestures (both touch and mouse).
- LeapMotion : Leap motion development page and downloads.
- TouchKit : TouchKit aims to make touch handling in Unity more sane.
- TouchScript : TouchScript is a multi-touch library for Unity. Makes handling complex gesture interactions on touch surfaces easier.
- Inventory System : The Inventory System & Editor Extension is a complete Inventory, Item and Character Sheet solution providing loads of neatly organized and documented parameters allowing full customization of UI as well as gameplay features with little to no coding.
- Cinema Themes 2 - Color Grading LUTS Library : Awesome set of free LUTS for your projects.
- Day and Night Cycle with Scattering And Movement : A simple day and night cycle system with moving clouds.
- Simple LUT Adjuster : Change colour lookup, hue, saturation, brightness, contrast and sharpness.
- Simple Light Probe Placer : A tool for helps you to easily place light probes in your scene.
- SpriteLights : Render thousands of Physically Based lights in a single batch.
- True Volumetric Lights (Open Source) : Its expensive perf wise - but the effect is just beautiful!
- Lean Localization : Simplifies localization.
- Simple Geometry Painter : A simple geometry painter
- Maze Generator : Generates complex non-cycled mazes with different algorithms.
- Mesh Baker Free : Combine meshes and textures to reduce draw calls.
- RealTime Painting : Real time mesh painting
- Vertex Painter : Free mesh painting asset from an industry pro
Music & Sound:
- Free Music Archive : It's not just free music; it's good music.
- FreeSound.org : Awesome searchable sound library.
- Sonnis GDC 2016 Music Pack : 16 Gb of awesomness!
- Photon Unity Networking Free : Easily add multiplayer to your games and launch them globally with the included FREE Photon Cloud plan.
- Unity HTTP : A TcpClient-based HTTP library for Unity.
- LibNoise : A port of the LibNoise framework for Unity. Great if you are doing procedural content generation.
- Elementals : 53 fantastic Shuriken particles that are categorized to 8 kinds of element.
- Fire and Spell Effects : Flamethrower, fireballs and meteor swarms and more.
- KY Magic Effects Free : This package includes 10 free magic game effects.
- Aron Granbergs A* Pathfinding Project : One of the best path finding solutions for Unity.
- A Star Pathfinding for Unity : A* Pathfinder for Unity. It includes 3 axis path finding and multi-threading.
- AStart : Unity project for Lurendium tutorial about basics of a* pathfinding.
- OpenPath : An automated, very simple A* path finding package for Unity.
- ObjectPool : This script reduces garbage collection and therefore jitter by pooling instances.
- RecyclerKit - An object pooling system that is super easy to use from Prime31.
Post FX / Shaders:
- Ascii : Image Effect - Matrix-like post process effect
- Deferred Night Vision : AAA quality night vision effect if you're using deferred rendering.
- KinoGlitch : A collection of glitch video effects.
- KvantSpray : GPU accelerated object instancing/particle animation system for Unity. Very cool!
- Lightning Bolt Effect for Unity : Customizable lightning asset.
- Lux : open source physically based shader framework for unity.
- Melee Weapon Trail : Add "swoosh" trail effects suitable for attacks of your characters.
- Shader case Study - Pokemon Battle Transitions : Video tutorial plus shaders.
- ShaderProject : All sorts of handy shaders -
ApplyTexture, Blending, AdditiveBlending, AlphaBlending, CombineTextures, Dissolve, DiscardingFragments, FlatColor, FlatRGBColor, GeometryShaders, GrabPass, BlackWhite, Blur, GlassStained, Pixelation, PixelShifting, Tint, Zoom, Masks, AlphaMask, ColorMask, ColorAlphaMask, NormalExtrusion, NormalMapping, PostProcessing, BlackWhite, BlendModes, BrightnessSaturationContrast, DepthTexture, Overlay, Pixelation, Tint, RotationUV, RotationVertices, Shading, Diffuse, DiffuseLighting, Phong, Phong-Blinn, Silhuette, StencilBuffer, TextureAtlas, ToonShading, VertexManipulation, Flag, Scale, VolumetricExplosion, Water, Waves
- SMAA for Unity3D : Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing for Unity3D.
- Temporal Reprojection Anti-Aliasing : TRAA for Unity.
- Toon Shader Free : A free toon shader - render your 3d models in a toon style.
- Unity Cinematic Image Effects : I largely don't even bother with other PostFX packages now.
- Unity 5 Effects : Temporal screen space reflections, screen space shadows, screen space boolean, rim light, water surface and caustics, light particles, procedural modelling, metaball, temporal SSAO, mosaic field.
- EasyRoads3D Free : The free version of what is probably the best roads asset for Unity. Works well with with Gaia terrains.
Scene & Art Creation:
- Ikari Vertex Painter : Vertex painting on objects
- ProBuilder Basic : Building prototype levels easily.
- UPA Toolkit: Pixel Art Editor : Making Pixel Art inside Unity.
- FullSerializer : Easy to use and robust JSON serializer that just works.
- Kode 80 Volumetric clouds : Pretty amazing real time volumetric clouds.
- 8 Ocean HRDI's : A collection of 8 stunning ocean HDRI's for skyboxes.
- Free HDR Sky : Some sample 4k HDRI skyboxes.
- Sky5X One : A set of five free beautiful sky boxes.
- Spawner – Free : Very easy simple spawner system for unity.
- Sonniss GDC 2016 : Amazing sound sampler packs from Sonniss for GDC 2016.
- Sonniss GDC 2017 : Amazing sound sampler packs from Sonniss for GDC 2017.
- Generic Terrain Brushes : 35 Very handy terrain brushes. Useful for sculpting your terrain or painting textures.
- Procedural Cave Generator : Procedurally generate ready to use caves
- Free Seamless Textures : Free seamless textures
- Teilas Seamless Textures : More free and categorised textures.
- UnityBitmapDrawing : Bitmap Drawing API extension methods for the Texture2D class.
- Thread Ninja : This asset helps you write multi-thread co-routines with very simple script.
- DOTween (HOTween v2) : A very nice tweening library optimised for C# and nicely integrated into Unity.
- LeanTween : An efficient tween engine for Unity that offers a many features.
- Unity UI Extensions : Extension project for the new Unity UI system.
- Autosaver : Editor extension that allows for auto-saving your work.
- BitStrap : A bunch of handy utilities that allow you to bootstrap a new Unity project.
- FrameCapturer : Captures frames to pictures and videos. Supports png, gif, mp4, exr.
- Instant Screenshot : Handy screen shot taking system.
- Klak : Noise, random numbers, interpolation, extensions, image writer, procedural motion, event wiring.
- LINQ to Game Object for Unity : Traverse GameObject Hierarchy by LINQ.
- More Effective Coroutines : Memory Efficient Coroutines is an improved implementation of the standard co routines that runs blazing fast and has zero per-frame memory allocations.
- Random Duplicate : A utility to duplicate an object with random size and rotation.
- Previously Paid : A collection of previosly commercial unity assets.
- Secured PlayerPrefs : Encrypt/decrypt PlayerPrefs.
- Simple Finite State Machine : State machine designed with simplicity and ease of use in mind.
- Tiny Lab Productions Library : Awesome collection of utilities. Android utils, bitmap, promises, futures, co-routine helpers, alloc free iterators, extensions, json parser / emitter, oprion, lazy, tupe, try, unit and many more useful utilities. Well worth a look!
- Unity Color Picker : A color picker for Unity.
- Unity3D-ComponentAttribute : An attribute that let's you auto-load components.
- Unity Toolbag : A bunch of handy Unity extension utilities. Very handy.
- Zone Controller Free : Allows you to control the properties of ANY other Unity component at runtime. Create stunning and smooth transition effects on your favorite Unity components with just a few clicks. Very powerful!
- Google VR SDK for Unity : uild virtual reality applications for Android and iOS using the Google VR SDK for Unity.
- HoloToolkit-Unity : A collection of scripts and components to accelerate development of applications targeting Windows Holographic.
- Project Tango UnitySDK Examples : the Project Tango UnitySDK examples and tutorial projects for Unity 5 and above.
- Steam VR Plugin : The Steam VR plugin for Unity.
- Steam VR Unity Toolkit : A collection of useful scripts and prefabs for building SteamVR titles in Unity 5.
- The Lab Renderer : The scripts and shaders that drove rendering in The Lab for HTC Vive. Forward renderer with support for up to 18 dynamic shadowing lights in a single pass with MSAA enabled, and it included the Adaptive Quality system that dynamically adjusts rendering resolution to maintain framerate in VR.
- Newton VR : A virtual reality interaction system for unity based on physics.
- VRTK : Virtual reality toolkit, a collection of useful scripts and prefabs for building VR titles in Unity 5.
- uScript Personal Learning Edition : uScript is a fully featured visual scripting system developed by industry veterans of award-winning "AAA" games.
- Olanders Realistic Weather : Very high quality weather system from a quality developer.
- Super Powers Asset Packs : Asset packs for medieval, fantasy, ninja, prehistory, space shooters, top down shooters etc.
- 2D Rope Editor : Free 2D rope editor.
- CraftPix Freebie Assets : Awesome collection of beautiful 2D spritesheets and backgrounds.
- Blacksmith : A small but quality sample from the Village Exteriors Kit.
- Cactus Pack : Pack of desert plants and rocks with hand-painted, atlased textures.
- Destroyed City FREE : Post apocalyptic city construction site.
- Free Guns Pack : Four quality scifi guns.
- Free SciFi Fighter : Beautiful spaceship fighter model.
- Free Rocks : Add realistic rocks to your game.
- Ghoul : Textured and animated.
- Industrial Objects Pack : 20 industrial props.
- Make Your Fantasy Game Lite : 60+ assets to create your own cemetery scene.
- Man in a Suit : As the name implies textured and ready for Mecanim.
- MCS Female Lite : Free MCS female character - the mcs characters are top notch!
- MCS Female Sci-Fi Bundle 01 : A bundle of sci-fi content compatible with MCS Female Lite.
- MCS Male Lite : Free MCS male character - the mcs characters are top notch!
- MCS Male Wood Elf Scout : A a selection of fantasy content compatible with MCS Male Lite.
- Mini Mike’s Mini Metros : An urban collection of over 400 low poly models for building a small city.
- Modern Russian Assault Rifle : Nice looking assault rifle.
- Modern Weapons Pack : Some excellent free weapons for your fps shooter.
- Modular Building Pack : Over 100 low poly modular building blocks.
- MYFG - Weapon Pack Lite : 20 Medieval/Fantasy weapons
- Nature Starter Kit 1 : Start creating outdoor scenes, including a simple grass texture, 4 rocks and a tree.
- Nature Starter Kit 2 : Create your own forests and meadows with this free asset pack!
- Planet Earth Free : The #1 Planet Earth Package.
- Rocks & Boulders : A free rocks and boulders pack from one of the best modellers on the store.
- Rock and Boulders 2 : Another free rock and boulders pack from Manufactura K4.
- Sci Fi Officer Captain : Mecanim ready.
- Simple Modular Street Kit : Snap together these assets to create roads in unity.
- Simple Town Lite : A simple asset pack of vehicles, buildings and props to create an urban city based game.
- Survival Starter Kit Vol1 : 40 props and weapons.
- Town Houses Pack : Collection of highly detailed low-poly 3d buildings.
- Unity-chan! : Lovely toon model from Unity.
- UMA 2 : Really brilliant humanoid avatar system.
- Watercraft Pack : Various ships, boats and other watercraft.
I hope you enjoyed this list. In return I would really appreciate it if you would also take a moment and have a look at GAIA. GAIA allows your to design your scene to suit your game - not your game to suit your scene and with over 150 different terrain stamps included plus a decent collection of game ready assets it can create anything you want in minutes. Gaia can leverage a bunch of the assets included on this page. Ahem.. and no GAIA is not free ;)